[R] test for two samples

Rado Bonk rbonk at host.sk
Tue Feb 4 15:24:03 CET 2003

Hi R-users,

My question is more methodological one, rather than technical.

I have to samples representing residuals based on two measurements
techniques (resid1,resid2; n=69). I need to compare two samples, to
reject one technique (the worse one), and to keep the one which gave
lower residuals (better one). What to look for? What should I analyse?
Means, variance, std. deviations?

Based on preliminary EDA:

mean_resid1 < mean_resid2	#I would reject resid2 technique
stdev_resid1 > stdev_resid2	#I would reject resid1 technique
var_resid1 > var_resid2		#I would reject resid1 technique

Based on means I would reject resid2 technique, but based on analyses of
stdev. and variance I would reject resid1 technique.

How to deal with that problem? What is proper statist. atrribute to look
for? Should I use t.test()?

Best regards,

Rado Bonk

--
Radoslav Bonk M.S.
Dept. of Physical Geography and Geoecology
tel: +421 905 968 127 e-mail: rbonk at host.sk