[R] Wireframe (lattice) questions

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 10 01:04:05 CET 2003

On Sunday 09 February 2003 05:19 pm, Christopher Adolph wrote:
> I have a few questions on formatting wireframe plots:
>
> 1.  How can I remove (or at least "white-out") the border on the plot?
> (I.e., the 2-d box around the whole plotting area, not the 3-d cube).  I'm
> willing to hack the code if necessary.

You would have to change print.trellis. Find the part that looks like

                            pargs <- c(x$panel.args[[panel.number]],
                                       x$panel.args.common)
                            if (!("..." %in% names(formals(panel))))
                                pargs <- pargs[names(formals(panel))]
                            do.call("panel", pargs)

                            grid.rect()

and comment out the grid.rect() part.

> 2.  Is it possible to suppress plotting of all sides of the cube except
> for the axes?

No, not currently.

> 3.  Is there a reliable way to print expressions in wireframe plots?  I'm
> using the same code I use for other plots, but can't seem to get Greek
> letters in the plots.  E.g.,

This is definitely a bug in lattice. For now, you could work around it with

xlabstr <- list(expression(rho))