[R] installation on FreeBSD

loren mccarter lorenmc at socrates.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 10 03:50:03 CET 2003

I'm not sure what is causing it to dump core. I'm using FreeBSD 4.7 and
I'm waiting for 5.1 before upgrading so I can't troubleshoot it on my
end. Here are some things you may want to try: (1)~use /stand/sysinstall
to add R as a binary package (R-1.5.1_1 is available this way), (2)~if
you think it's X, try configuring R to install without X (I think there
is a configure option for this, something like: configure --without-x).
(3)~when you installed the FreeBSD packages, make sure that none of them
had XFree86 3.3.6 as a dependency, which would cause it to overwrite the 4.2
libraries (but, you'd really notice if this happened this b/c X would not
work at all, not just R). (4)~if this is a brand new machine setup, you
may want to use the more stable FreeBSD 4.7 until 5.1 comes out in a few
months. Of course, none of those suggestions are ideal, but may help you
to trouble shoot the issue.

Loren