[R] shapiro.test

Richard A. Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Mon Feb 10 16:48:02 CET 2003

Ernesto Jardim wrote:

>Hi
>
>It's a bootstrap empirical distribution and has 1000 replicates.
>
>EJ
>
>On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 15:33, Richard A. Bilonick wrote:
>

>>It depends on how non-Normal the distribution and the size of the
>>sample. A t-distribution with df = 30 isn't Normal but it is close to
>>being Normal. A small sample size probably won't detect it:
>>
>> > shapiro.test(rt(100,30))
>>
>>        Shapiro-Wilk normality test
>>
>>data:  rt(100, 30)
>>W = 0.9927, p-value = 0.8708
>>
>>But a large enough sample size will:
>>
>> > shapiro.test(rt(2000,30))
>>
>>        Shapiro-Wilk normality test
>>
>>data:  rt(2000, 30)
>>W = 0.9968, p-value = 0.0003097
>>
>>You haven't told us your sample size.
>>
>>Rick B.

First, the convention is to place replies at the bottom of the last
message. (I would prefer it otherwise, but that is the convention.)

Apparently even with your "large" sample size, it is not large enough to
differentiate a difference between your distribution and the Normal. The
difference can't be distinguished from a chance departure from the
Normal for the given sample size. There is nothing unusual in this that
I can see. It just tends to take huge sample sizes to pick up small
differences (assuming your distribution actually differs from the Normal!).

Rick B.