[R] Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system.

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Tue Feb 11 17:07:03 CET 2003

BSA
>Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 9:03 AM
>To: Forbeck, Doug (NIH/NCI)
>Cc: R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
>Subject: Re: [R] Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system.
>

>"Forbeck, Doug (NIH/NCI)" <forbeckd at mail.nih.gov> writes:
>
>> I am trying to get R to run on a Red Hat 8 system, I am running R
>> version 1.6.2 with Tcl/Tk version 8.3.5 installed. When I
>try to test
>> R from the data_sets directory I get the error message; Error in
>> firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>> 	Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
>> Error in fileBrowser(textToShow = "Choose one CDF file" ,
>nSelect = 1, :
>> 	tcl/tk library not available
>> Execution halted.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
>8.3.5 is not stock RH8 is it? I have 8.3.3.
>
>My best guess is that something went wrong during the build of
>R. Make sure that the configure process figures out where to
>find the Tcl/Tck header files and libraries.

Tcl/tk version 8.3.3-74 is indeed the current "official" version from
RH for 8.0 and is what I have as well.  No updates to that version are
yet available via RHN, though updates are of course available from
ActiveState to 8.3.5 and 8.4.1.

Tcl/tk works fine on my system using R 1.6.2 installed from the RPM
provided by Martyn Plummer on CRAN
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/8.x/i386/R-1.6.2-1.i386.rp
m) and tcl/tk installed from the RH DVD.

I agree with Peter, sounds like a library location problem/conflict.
Which came first?  The build/install of R or the install/upgrade of
tcl/tk?  If you installed/upgraded the tcl package second, the path
for the tcl libraries may not be the same as what was present when you
first built/installed R, presuming that tcl was installed at that
point.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz