[R] Problems with Rcmd check on Win 2000 & rw1062

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Feb 12 06:42:04 CET 2003

I was able to re-create your directory tree on my system (half of
which is WinXP Pro). I used the DOS 8.3 short format names, since I
don't have your expanded user name.

If I run Rcmd check with TMPDIR set to
C:\DOCUME~1\R5018~1.WOO\LOCALS~1\Temp with single backslashes, I run
into the problems that you identified in your first post.

If I run Rcmd check with TMPDIR set to
C:/DOCUME~1/R5018~1.WOO/LOCALS~1/Temp with single forward slashes, I
do not get the problems and Rcmd check runs fine on a package that I
have here.

Also, if I run Rcmd check with TMPDIR set to
C:\\DOCUME~1\\R5018~1.WOO\\LOCALS~1\\Temp with double backslashes, I
do not get the problems and Rcmd check runs fine.

I might add that I get the same phenomenon if I use my own directory
and make the above changes.  My normal TMPDIR is set using single
forward slashes.

I was initially wondering if there was something in your full pathname
that might be an issue or perhaps you did not have proper access
rights to the directory tree.

The above supports Prof. Ripley's observation that proper setting of
the TMPDIR variable using unix-style paths is required for the script
to work properly (as is the case with R file pathnames in general).

Hope that helps,

Marc Schwartz