[R] Matrix formatting - reprise

Andy Bunn abunn at montana.edu
Thu Feb 13 20:08:13 CET 2003

Given all these NA formatting replies - I have a question of my own.

I too have an object like foo.dat from the pervious posts:

foo.dat <- cbind(c(NA, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), c(NA, NA, 0, 10 ,20, 30))

> foo.dat
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]   NA   NA
[2,]    1   NA
[3,]    2    0
[4,]    3   10
[5,]    4   20
[6,]    5   30

and I have vector I want to subtract from each column of foo.dat say:

foo.subtract <- c(0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5)

I want to perform the subtraction from foo.dat but preserve the
structure of the data. I.e.,

     [,1] [,2]
[1,]   NA   NA
[2,]  0.9   NA
[3,]  1.8 -0.1
[4,]  2.7  9.8
[5,]  3.6 19.7
[6,]  4.5 29.6

The final formatting of foo.dat has to be intact - I can't just shove
the NAs to the bottom. I tried to order the data in an apply function
but couldn't make it work.

Thanks, Andy