[R] data manipulation function descriptions

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 08:45:05 CET 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, kjetil brinchmann halvorsen wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2003 at 17:09, Jason Bond wrote:

> > case                          switch
>                                     [R-core : switch should be better
>                                                announced. It is for
>                                                 instance not
>                                                  mentioned in "An
>                                                   introduction to R"]

Well, that is an *introduction*, not a programmer's guide.  You will find
switch() is rarely used in R: it is a bit peculiar in its semantics, and
something definitely not to be considered introductory.

On the original question, I think it would be a mistake to translate what
you know.  R is a vector language, not a pairlist language, and I see
quite a bit of evidence of convoluted solutions in its internals dating
from when R was the second.  Chapter 2 of Venables & Ripley (2002) (as in
the R FAQ) is devoted to using S/R for data manipulation.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk