[R] Call to glm inside a function

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Feb 17 19:45:03 CET 2003

	  Others know this subject much better than I do, and you should ignore
these remarks if you get a more authoritative reply sooner, but in the
interest of getting you an answer now, I'll expose my ignorance on this
subject:  First, if you have access to a copy of Venables and Ripley, S
Programming, I would read about "assign" there (and all other
documentation you can find).

	  I'm guessing that "gml" probably uses "get" to find the weights and
can't find them because it does not look in the frame of the calling
function.

	  To get around this, try an "assign" something like the following
before your call to "glm":

	  assign("data", data)

   	  I'm not certain this will work, but I've had similar problems in
S-Plus and worked around them using assign.

	  I don't have time to work an example now,  but if this does not fix
your problem, you might experiment with the "assign" arguments until you
find something that works.  I don't like being too bold with "assign",
because I don't understand what it does, and it could be just a little
dangerous -- like overwriting a library or something.

Best Wishes,
Spencer Graves