[R] R environment advice?

Joshua Gramlich jgramlich at piocon.com
Mon Feb 17 20:09:02 CET 2003

Hello,

My questions are meant to be not necessarily specific...I am looking for
advice and best practices for setting up an R environment.  Here's my
situation:

I am one of perhaps three or four individuals who will be analyzing the
same data through the use of R.  I would like to set up a "base"
environment for our project, basically some scripts that connect to a
database, load several database tables into matrices in R, strip the
columns out of those matrices and do some minor tabluation...for
instance:

channel <- odbcConnect(yada, yada, yada)

surveyresults <- (channel, select * from sometable)

multiresults <- (channel, select * from othertable)

multiresults.columnname <- multiresults[,1]  # or column 2 or 3 or 4 or
so on...

multiresults.columname.table <- table(multiresults.columnname)

etcetera, etcetera.

I would like to create a single file that I could share that would load
this environment up for a new R user for this dataset.  If any of you
wouldn't mind taking the time explaining how you would go about doing
something like this, I would appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know if one can set VI keybindings in an R shell?

Thank you,

Joshua Gramlich
Piocon Technologies
Chicago, Illinois USA