[R] PL/R - R procedural language handler for PostgreSQL

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Feb 19 16:11:03 CET 2003

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Joe Conway wrote:

>> Is there a desire to get R to build under Cygwin, or is it preferable to
>> put any effort into the Windows port?
>
> Clearly there is some interest (or Tony Rossini would not be trying),
> but I don't see any desire to maintain R under Cygwin: it's an ongoing
> commitment to keep it working that would be needed.

It's amusing, and there are reasons for ME to be interested in it, but
I think the reasons for constructing a Cygwin port are not pragmatic,
given that Rterm exists and works.

> In my experience Windows users want a Windows interface (and especially
> Windows filenames), not a somewhat-like-Unix one.

This is exactly the point.  All but a negligible few unix-"primary"
users who want a unix interface under Windows should be satisfied by
the current Rterm.

(it would be "nice" to have a cygwin port, it would solve some of the
config and potential licensing (redistribution of ActivePerl) issues
with Perl, etc, but this is a case of causing more pain to save a
minimal amount of time and some documentation reading).

I shouldn't be so negative; it WOULD be a nice thing to have someone
do it.  It just probably won't be me to finish it.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ ----------------
FHCRC: M: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(my tuesday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)