[R] Help in separate window under X11

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Feb 19 19:50:40 CET 2003

> Is there the possibitily in R under X11 to get (after typing help(...)
> command) separate help window, as it is in Windows version?

IIRC help.start() starts a webbrowser pointing to the html version of the
help pages.  It requires cooperation from your browser and the jurrassic
netscape provides it, but not all modern browsers do it.  Two remedies:

a) manually point a browser to the URL  file:/usr/lib/R/doc/html

b) use ESS with Emacs or XEmacs, it really is worth your while (I even use
XEmacs/ESS under NT).  How to get started in explained in other places.

Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.