[R] Problem Writeing a pipe using R (stdin is consumed)

Alberto Gobbi agobbi at anadyspharma.com
Fri Feb 21 17:17:06 CET 2003

Hi everybody,
I a, trying to use R as a pipe like this:

cat inputData | R --silent RCommandFile >outputData

The RCommandFile would contain something like readLines(stdin()).
I have tryed various things and none did work cleanly.

One possible solution is to use the pipe() function inside R and to pass in the "cat inputData" however this is not very convenient
since I would like to use variable commands to generate the inputData which are much more complex than just "cat inputData" they might consist themselves of multiple pipes.

The problem is that R uses the stdin for itself to read commands and I could not find any solution.

Thanks a lot,
Alberto