[R] Subpopulations in Complex Surveys

Thompson, Trevor tkt2 at cdc.gov
Mon Feb 24 14:02:03 CET 2003

For svymean, can't you just pass the subpopulation into the design argument?

> svymean(~crc10yr, design=nhis.design[nhis.design$variables$age>=50,],
na.rm=TRUE)
  crc10yr
0.3461349
attr(,"var")
             [,1]
[1,] 2.903020e-05
> svyglm(crc10yr~I(age>=50)+0, design=nhis.design)
Stratified 1 - level Cluster Sampling design
With ( 678 ) clusters.

Call:  svyglm(formula = crc10yr ~ I(age >= 50) + 0, design = nhis.design)

Coefficients:
I(age >= 50)FALSE   I(age >= 50)TRUE
           0.1109             0.3461

Degrees of Freedom: 17802 Total (i.e. Null);  17800 Residual
Null Deviance:      0.1394
Residual Deviance: 0.09631      AIC: 6.601

-trevor