[R] bwplot stats question

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Mon Feb 24 18:36:23 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:43:56AM -0800, Ken Nussear wrote:
> Just wondering where the documentation exists for the statistics which
> makeup the bwplot.

It goes:  bwplot calls panel.bwplot, which calls boxplot.stats

help(boxplot.stats)

gives you all you need to know, and more.

> The median is the filled circle. The box surrounding the filled circle
> depicts the 25th and 75th quartile. The range of values is given by the
> dotted lines (“whiskers”) outside of each box, and possible outliers
> are given by the open circles outside the box.

For the whiskers, check out the "coef" argument to boxplot.stats.  For
now, because of the way it's nested, you can only use the default of
1.5 with bwplot.  Sifting through the code, I don't see an easy, clean
fix for this, but I'm not a very good R programmer.

Cheers

Jason
--
Indigo Industrial Controls Ltd.