[R] faraway tutorial: cryptic command to newbie

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Feb 24 20:23:23 CET 2003

I'm no expert in these matters, but I'll toss in my $0.02 anyway.

My recollection from reading Golub & Van Loan a few years ago is that
there's quite a bit of controversy as to the "best" approach to least
squares.  Just recently I've read Monahan's "Numerical Methods in
Statistics", which has three relevant chapters (including one titled
"Regression Computations").  In it, several approaches were presented:
QR-Householder, QR-Givens, SVD, MCD, sweep, etc.  The conclusion drawn was
that no single method is the best for all problems, and the task of writing
a regression routine is best avoided unless the workhorse routines in stat
packages are not satisfactory (in terms of speed/storage requirement/etc.).

My impression is that, with the glaring exception of SAS (which uses sweep,
if I'm not mistaken), most stat packages use QR, as a good compromise
between stability and speed.

Andy