[R] linear trend

Jonathan Baron baron at cattell.psych.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 25 12:32:04 CET 2003

On 02/25/03 12:22, This Rutishauser wrote:
>can anyone help me with a hint how to find a function to fit a linear
>trend line into a scatter plot. as well as testing it for significance.

Look at the help page for abline().  That is what you use for
drawing lines in a plot.  It turns out that you can specify the
line with lm(), and summary(lm()) gives you the significance
test.  For example (all but the last line from ?abline):

data(cars)
z <- lm(dist ~ speed, data = cars)
plot(cars)
abline(z)