[R] cat in windows vs linux

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Tue Feb 25 16:47:57 CET 2003

You might wish to try to turn off "buffered output", which is on the
"Misc" menu in Rgui.

BTW, this is in the R Windows FAQ:

6.3 When using Rgui the output to the console seems to be delayed.

This is deliberate: the console output is buffered and re-written in
chunks to be faster and less distracting. You can turn buffering off
or on from the `Misc' menu or the right-click menu: <Ctrl-W> toggles
the setting.

If you are sourcing R code or writing from a function, there is
another option. A call to the R function flush.console() will write
out the buffer and so update the console.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz