[R] Factor Analysis

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Feb 27 18:43:02 CET 2003

To obtain an nonsingular estimate of an (n x n) covariance or
correlation matrix, you need at least (n+1) observations.  However, you
can obtain estimates of the largest k singular values or eigenvalues
with only (k+1) observations.  The principal components routine must use
something like "eigen" or "svd", which does not require a nonsingular
covariance matrix.

Spencer Graves