[R] number plot symbol in scatterplot?

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Fri Jan 3 16:36:02 CET 2003

Bill  -

The behavior of the old-S function  printer()  was to count overstrikes
in the way you describe.  This was a non-graphics output device which
would make a crude scatterplot using ascii characters (spaces and
asterisks, for example) in response to  "plot()" commands.

I've looked for "printer" in  help(Devices)  and I don't find it.
Non-graphics scatterplots probably haven't been implemented for R
yet, and probably aren't a high priority.  I think you'll have to
count the overstrikes at each location yourself (hash the x-y
coordinates), and then use the function  text()  to plot the
appropriate symbol at each x-y location.

-  tom blackwell  -  university of michigan medical  -  ann arbor  -