[R] sink() & windows printing

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 13 19:38:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Simpson, William wrote:

> I used sink() a lot under linux with no problems.
>
> Under windows 2000 & using R 1.5.1, I do the following:
> - use sink() to direct ouput to a file
> - use sink() again to direct output to screen
> - print the file (to a network printer)

How do you print it?  (I tested this with "foo.txt", right-click to
print which uses Notepad.  Under current R, of course: I don't have such
an old version around.)

> PROBLEM: the file stays spooled infinitely at the printer. Sometimes the
> spooling gets translated into a printer error. The only way to get any
> printing working again is to shutdown and restart (not even a reboot helps!)
>
> Am I misusing sink() under windows?

No.  This is just a file that you can send to the printer: the problem
appears to be in your print system.

> I checked the R bugs archive and did not see this one listed.

It's for bugs in R, so unsurprisingly does not cover Windows printing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk