[R] density plot - beginner's question

kjetil brinchmann halvorsen kjetil at entelnet.bo
Tue Jan 14 04:09:05 CET 2003

On 13 Jan 2003 at 18:22, Saurav Pathak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to plot densities given on a two dimensional grid.  My
> data is in the an external file, and is arranged in three columns:
> x, y, density
>
> how may i get a plot of this?  i would like to get (1) a three
> dimensional plot and (2) a color coded two dimensional plot.
>
> I have tried using
>
> 	image(x, y, density)

You have here x, y, density vectors of the same length, which is not
what image expects. The help page for image tells you that x and y
should be vectors (each in ascending order), and z a matrix with
dimensions length(x) and length(y).  See the example on the help page
for image. If your data are not a rectangular grid, you must probably
interpolate before you can use image.

Kjetil Halvorsen