[R] How to change the label position in axis() ?

Liu.Chunhua@epamail.epa.gov Liu.Chunhua at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Jan 14 23:36:05 CET 2003

Dear R People,

I'm working on a plot function to produce the graph shown below. One of
the features my supervisor does not like is that the labels in the Y-
axix are shown vertically. Is there a way to change that to horizontally
?

This is the axix() function I used  :

axis(2,at=seq(nstrat),labels=snames)

The labels (snames)  are: SEV1:HU:C, SEV1:MU:C, SEV1:MU:L, SEV1:RT:C
and SEV1:RT:L, due to space limitation just 3 of the labels are shown in
the axix.
In Splus, I believe the labels are shown horizontally be default. What
we want is to show them horizontally in R too. Is there a way to do it ?

I studied help(axix) document, and did not see a way to do it.

THanks for the help

Charlie Liu
Graduate Intern at US EPA