[R] building R1.6.2 from source (windows2k)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jan 15 08:55:03 CET 2003

Christian Schulz wrote:
>>Do read more carefully.  The file INSTALL says `doc/manual'!
>

> many thanks !
> I work with the very usefuel  manual
> "R for Windows Users 2.0" from Ko-Kang Kevin Wang ,
> but IMHO here is a small mistake (Page 13!) ?
>
> Sorry for my newbie problems, but why the
> "make docs" ends not fine and the "make recomended"
> didn't work ?
>
> many thanks for help to enter this adventure
> christian
>

> [snip- last output after make docs]
>
> l.10 @documentlanguage en
>
> ?

Hm. I've seen this on solaris - and haven't investigated further. My
guess is a missing or outdated package. If someone is interested, I'll
look closer.
Are you sure you have updated MikTeX in a clean manner (including a new
build of format files and filename databases?).

[many lines of output]

> [snip - output from make recomended ]
> C:\Rcompile\R-1.6.2\src\Recomended\
>  only with the packed recommended packages exist ???
>

> - C:\Rcompile\R-1.6.2\src\gnuwin32>make recommended
> --- Unpacking recommended packages
> ---- VR
>
> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file

I guess you used any windows (un)zip-(un)tar tool to extract the
archives, which doesn't work very well.
Use
  tar xfz R-1.6.2.tgz
with tar from the tool collection to extract it. Some links in the
../src/library/Recommended directory are not resolvable having used a
bad tar tool.

[many lines of output]

Uwe Ligges

BTW: There is a binary build on CRAN.