(v2) [R] quadratic trends and changes in slopes (R-help digest, Vol 1 #52 - 16 msgs)

vito muggeo vito.muggeo at giustizia.it
Wed Jan 22 11:01:25 CET 2003

It is well-known that change-point estimation is a non-trivial task.

You could find interesting the followings

Pastor and Guallar 1998. "use of two-segmented logistic regression to
estimate changepoint in epidemiological studies" Am J Epid, 148, 631-642

Goetghebeur and Pocock 1995 "detection and estimation og J-shaped
risk-response relationships" JRSSA,158,107-121

where a quadratic polynomial before or after the change has been used in
order to allow the score function to be continuous at the changepoint.
However the aforementioned papers do not seem to solve the problem in
practice: Goetghebeur and Pocock 1995 use a grid-search-type method to
estimate the break-point and Pastor and Guallar 1998 use a non standard
algorithm to maximize the log-lik.

If you are dealing with time-serie regression models and the changepoint is
a time-point (i.e. on the time-axis) you could see the strucchange package
by Achim Zeleis (see also his paper on R-news 2002, I don't remeber the
issue).

best,
vito