[R] negative multinomial regression models

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 19:23:02 CET 2003

A multinomial regression model is not a glm.  As it name implies, glm.nb
uses generalized linear models.  If it had been as simple as you suggest,
I am sure the authors of glm.nb would already have done it.

One clue is that multinomial logistic regression models are not
implemented (nor can they be) by extending glm.  The best idea is to
follow what was done there, namely to define a log-likelihood and maximize
it.  That's actually not a bad way to fit negative binomial glms, also.