[R] box counting method and other landscape ecology measures

rohan sadler rsadler at agric.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 28 04:23:02 CET 2003

Hi Manuel and Robert,

My understanding is that the fdim library is orientated towards vector
data filling a space, as opposed to a raster type image. Importantly, I
utilise the GRASS library interface with the GRASS GIS to import raster
images that are spatially referenced into R. Hence methods such as
box-counting and Minkowsky sausage are perhaps more applicable, and
certainly found more often in the image-analysis/landscape ecology
literature than the information or correlation dimension.

I have managed to come up with a primitive implementation of the
box-counting algorithm in the meantime (i'm pleased with it although I
am a mediocre programmer), and my next step is an adjacency measure - to
tell me whether I have one big patch or lots of small patches.

I'm working from a few references, but one of the most useful is:
L da F Costa & R M Cesar 2001 Shape Analysis and Classification: Theory
and Practice. CRC Press. Boca Raton

Thanks for replying

Rohan Sadler