[R] random number generator?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Jan 29 00:00:03 CET 2003

    AL> Might I suggest taking a poll (even though unscientific) of how many people
    AL> will be affected by a change in default RNG?  My totally arbitrary guess is
    AL> very few, if any.

But they may tend to be important (i.e. those with large stat software
projects/tools) doing heavy regression testing.

    AL> If I'm not mistaken, Python had only recently changed the default RNG to
    AL> Mersenne-Twister.  If Python can do it, I should think R can, too, without
    AL> too much pain...

Depends on which L_p norm you measure pain by.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ ----------------
FHCRC: M: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(my tuesday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)