[R] calling sweave function from latex

david.whiting@ncl.ac.uk david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 29 08:07:04 CET 2003

You say that you call R code embedded in your LaTeX document. I tend to
think of it as LaTeX embedded in my R code.  I think the answer to your
question is 'no', but there might be ways to work around it.

I use AUCTeX in emacs and can select a region of foo.sw and run latex on
that.  This works fine although you won't have access to R objects using
\Sexpr{}.  In practice I tend to use <<eval=FALSE>> to "comment out" R
code chunks that I have run previously if I do not need to update or
recreated their objects. This means that running Sweave on foo.sw then
does not take too long to run the R chunks that do need to be run, i.e.
foo.tex is created pretty quickly.  Running latex does not then usually
take long either.  I use search and replace or the chunk navigation
hotkeys (e.g. M-n g) when I need to change <<eval=FALSE>> to
<<eval=TRUE>>.

Creating a Makefile to run R with Sweave (as indicated in the FAQ in the
Sweave manual) and then latex the resulting foo.tex should work pretty
well to automate the process.

I am still new to Sweave, but have had a lot of fun with it so far.  I
use emacs with ESS, Sweave, RefTex mode, LaTeX mode and Prosper - a
presentation class that creates PDF presentations which (can if you
want) look like MS Powerpoint presentations but with the advantage of
LaTeX formatting.  All the tools I need for analysis, writing, and
presentations working together.

My first serious use of this combination was last week. I had a foo.Rnw
file which produced both my presentation and accompanying notes to
handout. I discovered a mistake in my R code shortly before giving my
presentation, fixed it, Sweave'd the file and updated my presentation
and notes painlessly. A nice way to work.

Dave.

Dave Whiting
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania