[R] random number generator?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jan 29 15:25:03 CET 2003

> From: rossini at blindglobe.net [mailto:rossini at blindglobe.net]

>     AL> Might I suggest taking a poll (even though
> unscientific) of how many people
>     AL> will be affected by a change in default RNG?  My
> totally arbitrary guess is
>     AL> very few, if any.
>
> But they may tend to be important (i.e. those with large stat software
> projects/tools) doing heavy regression testing.

But if those who want to use better RNG in R can now put RNGkind() in their
.Rprofile,  surely those who really need the old generator can do similar,
if the default is changed?  As Prof. Dalgaard said (privately), I don't
think is that painful if the current default generator is kept as an option
in RNGkind().  (I.e., all I'm asking is to change the default RNG, not
getting rid of the current default.)

Cheers,
Andy