[R] namespaces and saved objects

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 1 10:13:45 CEST 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Laurent Gautier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While saving (function 'save') a 'lmList' object (pack nlme),
> R issues the warning messages:
> 1: namespaces may not be available when loading
> 2: names in persistent strings are currently ignored
> 3: namespaces may not be available when loading
> 4: names in persistent strings are currently ignored
>
> Any pitfall I should be aware of ?

Only that you will need to have package nlme available to re-load the
workspace.  I think these warnings have been removed in the development
version of R.

I've removed the cause of such messages with the MASS function glm.nb()
recently, and I guess nlme is doing similar things.  The cause was that
negative.binomial() created a family of functions, which thereby had the
body of negative.binomial as their environment and hence the MASS
namespace in its environment.  As the latter was a minor nuisance, I have
manipulated the environments.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk