[R] Computations slow in spite of large amounts of RAM.

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Jul 1 16:37:24 CEST 2003

> From: Huiqin Yang [mailto:Huiqin.Yang at noaa.gov]
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am a beginner trying to use R to work with large amounts of
> oceanographic data, and I find that computations can be VERY
> slow.  In particular, computational speed seems to depend
> strongly on the number and size of the objects that are
> loaded (when R starts up).  The same computations are
> significantly faster when all but the essential objects are
> removed.  I am running R on a machine with 16 GB of RAM, and
> our unix system manager assures me that there is memory
> available to my R process that has not been used.
>
> 1.  Is the problem associated with how R uses memory?  If so,
> is there some way to increase the amount of memory used by my
> R process to get better performance?

Is R compiled as 64-bit?  If not, it won't be able to use more than 4GB of
RAM (that's my understanding, anyway).

R keeps objects in memory, so if you are working with large amount of data,
it's a good habit to keep only the absolute essential objects in the
workspace, and save() and rm() things you don't need for the computation.

> The computations that are particularly slow involve looping
> with by().  The data are measurements of vertical profiles of
> pressure, temperature, and salinity at a number of stations,
> which are organized into a dataframe p.1 (1925930 rows, 8
> columns: id, p, t, and s, etc.), and the objective is to get
> a much smaller dataframe and the unique
> values for ID is 1409 with the minimum and maximum pressure
> for each profile.  The slow part is:
>
> h.maxmin <- by(p.1,p.1$id,function(x){
>              data.frame(id=x$id[1],
>                       maxp=max(x$p),
>                       minp=min(x$p))})
>
> 2.  Even with unneeded data objects removed, this is very
> slow.  Is there a faster way to get the maximum and minimum values?

Why do you need to use by(), and why have the function return a data frame
containing only one row?  Here's an experiment on my 900MHz PIII laptop:

> n <- 1e5
> dat <- data.frame(id = sort(sample(LETTERS, n, replace=TRUE)),
+                   p = rnorm(n))

> system.time(h.maxmin <- by(dat, dat$id,function(x) {
+   data.frame(id=x$id[1], maxp=max(x$p), minp=min(x$p))}))
[1] 2.75 0.01 2.78   NA   NA
> system.time(junk <- tapply(dat$p, dat$id, function(x) range(x)))
[1] 0.12 0.01 0.13   NA   NA

If you want to coerce the result to a data frame with id as row names and
min and max as the two variables, you can do:

  junk.dat <- as.data.frame(do.call("rbind", junk))

HTH,
Andy