[R] crossed random effects

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Jul 1 16:38:17 CEST 2003

	  Have you studied Pinhiero and Bates (2000) Mixed Effects Models in S
and S-Plus (Springer)?

	  Also, have you tried simplifying your "lme" call until you get
something that works, then start adding back terms in various
configurations until it breaks?

	  Have you tried to compute how many coefficients are estimated in both
fixed and random terms and evaluate whether all are estimable?  For
example, with 2 factors at 2 levels each, if you don't have all 4
possible combinations, you can't estimate the interaction -- even if you
have thousands of replications of each.

	  Finally, you can always try to read the code.  I've learned a lot
about S-Plus / R by doing that -- and solved a lot of my own problems
that way.

hope this helps.  spencer graves