[R] RE: question about spatial correlation with Xs and Ys

Smith, Daniel (DHS-DEODC-EHIB) DSmith2 at dhs.ca.gov
Tue Jul 1 18:06:16 CEST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 3:09 AM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: R-help Digest, Vol 5, Issue 1

At 18:48 30/06/2003, Martin Wegmann wrote:
>hello,
>
>I want to do a test for spatial correlation.
>I tried it with geary.test() but I don't understand the required input.
>x= a numeric vector the same length as the neighbours list in listw (my
>sampled data, I assume)
>listw= a listw object created for example by nb2listw (well when I check
>nb2listw() I get to "neighbours - an object of class nb" - but I couldn't
>figure out, what nb is or how I create such a class
>
>with sp.mantel.mc {spdep} I have the same problem: listw created by
nb2listw

>isn't there a more straight forward method ;-)  to check for spatial
>correlation? like x and y coordinates plus my sampled data?

Check out the notes from a short course in Spatial Epidemiology by Best et
al., at http://stats.ma.ic.ac.uk/~ngb30/.  They have S-plus code to run
Moran's I and Tango's test for spatial correlation that use disease counts
in small areas and their X and Y coordinates.

Daniel Smith, Dr.P.H.
Environmental Health Investigations Branch
California Department of Health Services
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1700
Oakland, CA 94612