[R] crossed random effects

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jul 2 02:07:26 CEST 2003

	  How many mum's and pop's do you have, and how many observations do
you have of each mum-pop combination?  If you want mum nested within
pop, do I infer correctly that each mum has mated with only one pop, but
that each pop may have offspring by multiple mums?  The table of mum-pop
combinations might help explain why you got, "Error in chol((value +
t(value))/2) : non-positive definite matrix in chol".

	  If you can get an answer ignoring pop, then you might be able to get
an answer with pop as a separate random term without specifying mum
nested within pop.  Also, I'd check very carefully the specification of
nesting:  I've messed that up more than once, and I'm bald now, because
I tore all my hair out before I figured out what I was doing wrong.
(Well, there is a slight exageration there.)  Have you tried a very
simple toy problem (or a published example) with nesting to make sure
you can get the correct answer?

hope this helps.
spencer graves