Unit of legend() coordinates (was: Re: [R] lines and legend)

Paul Lemmens P.Lemmens at nici.kun.nl
Wed Jul 2 08:47:42 CEST 2003

Dear all,

I would like to make a suggestion for an improvement (IMHO) of ?legend.

Please add a remark that the x,y positioning coordinates are in the units
of the plot() itself, *not* in pixels or anything the like.

It would have saved me a lot of time figuring out why my legend just
wouldn't appear if ?legend would have told me to set the coordinates in the
units of the x and y axis. I haven't found it anywhere on the list or
manuals (but I may have missed something). Now that I know this, it seems a
logic choice, however, refering to a 'graphics device' seems to imply a
coordinate system in pixels starting from the upper/lower left of the
device (the usual choice in graphical manipulations in programming
languages). This assumption is false and IMHO is nowhere in FAQ/manuals
contradicted.

regards,
Paul

--On dinsdag 1 juli 2003 11:23 -0700 "Anna  H. Pryor"

--
Paul Lemmens
NICI, University of Nijmegen              ASCII Ribbon Campaign /"\