[R] Help with R Installation on Debian 2.2.19 (old stable/potato)

Jameson C. Burt jameson at coost.com
Thu Jul 10 19:50:59 CEST 2003

I have avoided crossing Debian versions
(eg, installing woody packages over a Debian potato distribution)
unless I do a full upgrade to, eg, woody.
However, R was and is available for the Debian potato version,
but it is version 0.90.
If you would be satisfied with that version, and I got good use out of
that version, and even out of the earlier version 0.61,
try an ordinary Debian package insallation with "apt".
   apt-get update	#updates available Debian packages
   apt-get install   r-base
This adds any necessary libraries, but only libraries consistent
with the Debian potato version.
It presumes you already have a working  /etc/apt/sources.list , eg, with a line like
   deb http://debian.rutgers.edu   potato   main contrib non-free

Alternatively, you can get this potato package directly at
   http://debian.rutgers.edu/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/math/
looking for packages beginning with  "r-".
For example, you could
   cd /tmp
   wget  http://debian.rutgers.edu/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/math/r-base_0.90.1-2.deb
   dpkg -i  r-base_0.90.1-2.deb

In the next version of Debian, woody, all the following package names are available,
but not in potato.
You should be able to install (dpkg -i package-name.deb)
documentation packages like  "r-doc-pdf" from
later Debian versions into you potato version,
but you can also get that documentation directly from R's webpages.
   * r-gnome         Gnome gui for statistical computing system
     r-mathlib       standalone mathematics library
     r-recommended   collection of recommended packages
     r-base-dev      installation of auxiliary GNU R packages
     r-base-html     html docs for statistical computing system functions
     r-base-latex    LaTeX docs for statistical computing system functions
     r-doc-html      html manuals for statistical computing system
     r-doc-info      info manuals statistical computing system
     r-doc-pdf       pdf manuals for statistical computing system

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson at coost.com       http://www.coost.com

LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
                  we know they are real and not supernatural"