[R] How robust is mle in R?

Roger D. Peng rpeng at stat.ucla.edu
Sun Jul 13 22:38:28 CEST 2003

There's no 'mle' routine in R.  For doing general maximum likelihood
estimation I often use 'optim' or 'nlm'.  I find 'optim' to be very
useful, although you have to become familiar with all of the
options/arguments in order to use it successfully.  For example, you
often have to provide scaling information (via 'parscale') to 'optim' in
order for a good solution to be found.

If you have a very complicated likelihood surface, than finding a good
solution will likely be the exception rather than the rule, and I think
that's independent of what software you use.  R's 'optim' function
provides four different procedures for optimizing a function, each of
which has its advantages and disadvantages.  I suggest checking out the
help page for 'optim', which is very detailed.

-roger