[R] Subsetting a matrix

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 14:50:35 CEST 2003

On 14-Jul-03 Adelchi Azzalini wrote:
>> Maybe it is reasonable to propose incorporating "drop" as one of the
>> things you can set with "options"? :--
>> [...]
>
> Perhaps this is a way-out. As usual, everything is feasible when we
> resort entirely on our own code.  The danger is that we might make
> use of some package (may be written some years ago) which assumes
> drop=TRUE is the default behaviour, and changing the default behaviour
> might (potentially) have disasterous effects.

Indeed. However, it should be OK when embarking on a block or function
of matrix computations, written by oneself, to enclose it between

  options(drop=FALSE)
  options(drop=TRUE)

(unless some of the standard or "base" matrix functions which one
might use in "..." depend on the default. How could one tell?).

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 14-Jul-03                                       Time: 13:50:35