[R] methods help and glmmPQL

Roger D. Peng rpeng at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 14 18:22:22 CEST 2003

I think with the introduction of namespaces in R version 1.7.0 many of
the methods in packages were hidden from the user.  That's why (for
example) VarCorr.lme does not show up.  methods(class =) only shows
user-visible methods.  Notice the following:

>  methods(VarCorr)
[1] "VarCorr.lme"       "VarCorr.pdBlocked" "VarCorr.pdMat"
>  VarCorr.lme
Error: Object "VarCorr.lme" not found
>  methods(class = "lme")
[1] "anova.lme"    "plot.lme"     "simulate.lme" "vcov.lme"
>  vcov.lme
function (object, ...)
object$varFix
<environment: namespace:base>

For some reason, those other methods are not hidden from the user.

-roger