[R] clearing some part of a graph

vincent.stoliaroff@sgcib.com vincent.stoliaroff at sgcib.com
Tue Jul 15 16:00:47 CEST 2003

Many thanks

I don't see any other solution than what you've proposed.
I have tried the par(mfg=c(i,j,k,l))
But it overwrites rather than replaces the previous graph

take care
vincnet

|         |           th50 at leicester.ac|
|         |           .uk              |
|         |           07/15/03 03:53 PM|
  |       To:       Vincent STOLIAROFF/fr/socgen at socgen, r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [R] clearing some part of a graph                                                                        |

Dear Vincent,

You can't clear a title only. The idea is to plot without one, like

plot(...,main="",sub="",xlab="",ylab="")

and add the title by hand (as you mentioned).

Moreover, AFAIK you can't clear one plot in a multiple figure environment,
since you can only clear the graphics device (not the plot),
but you can put a new plot onto a specific part of your m.f.e. using

par(mfg=c(i,j))

see ?par and "An Introduction to R" for more details.
(I have to admit that I am unsure whether that will remove a plot there,
or create the new one on top of it - hiding the old one. That matters
with respect to dev.copy() I assume.)

HTH

Thomas

---

Thomas Hotz
Research Associate in Medical Statistics
University of Leicester
United Kingdom

Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
22-28 Princess Road West
Leicester
LE1 6TP
Tel +44 116 252-5410