[R] Plotting a graph of many lines between groups of points...

Joel Kincaid jfkincaid at salisbury.edu
Tue Jul 15 22:21:07 CEST 2003

johnson.2060 at osu.edu wrote:
> I have a data file read into a data frame.
>
> For example,
>
>     V1  V2  V3  V4
> 1   1   1   3   4
> 2   2   3   5   10
> .   .   .   .   .
> .   .   .   .   .
> n          V1[n]     V2[n]     V3[n]     V4[n]
>
> to n=many thousand

is this stored as a data.frame? a matrix? In any case there seems to be
a problem with your indexing ...
> I want to plot a graph with many line segments, where v1[i]=x1,
v2[i]=y1,
> v3[i]=x2, v4[i]=y2 for i=1,n.
indexing is ok if you have df$v3[i] ....

> This seems relatively simple in theory but I've spent quite a bit of
time
> trying to make it happen with plot(type=), points(x,y), or lines(x,y)
to no
> avail.
could you send the actual code for your plot? Perhaps some way to
construct the data. at this point things are a bit murky.

> Do I need to turn these into vectors before plotting them?
Thus my question about how the data are stored...

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Cheers,