[R] numerical differentiation in R? (for optim "SANN" parscale)

Roger D. Peng rpeng at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 16 18:23:29 CEST 2003

'optim' does not require any differentiation of the objective function
for the "SANN" method.  For the other four methods 'optim' will do
numerical differentiation for you if a gradient is not provided.
Furthermore, the 'parscale' argument has nothing to do with
differentiation.  As far as I know, it is used to scale the values of
the parameters before choosing candidates (so that they are roughly
comparable).

-roger