[R] Excel can do what R can't?????

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jul 17 00:38:26 CEST 2003

	  Clearly there is much I don't understand about your problem.  I
suspect you are doing something that isn't correct in R, and the
complexity of the problem makes it difficult for you or anyone else to
isolate the likely error.

	  Have you tried discarding Hg (or W) and simplifying the problem to
estimating a single parameter Hgmod with only 3 observations, say?  Then
you can program those three numbers in Excel and R and have a better
chance of finding the problem.  If you still can't find it, give that to
the world and maybe someone else can see it quickly.  You can't expect
others to search a huge haystack for your needle, but if you cut it to a
small handful of straw, it is much easier to find the needle just by
squeezing a little.

	  If you get the toy problem to work and still can't see why the full
problem doesn't, add complexity back into your function a little at a
time until you figure it out.

	  In this process, I suggest you modularize your code:  Don't write one
huge complicated function.  Write a series of relatively simple
functions, with the more complicated tasks being done by simpler
functions.

	  Example:
Define the following functions:

   X1 <- function(X, Xmod)(((X-Xmod)^2)/X)

   Wt.Hg <- function(Xmod, Wt, Hgt)(X1(Wt, Xmod[1])+X1(Hgt, Xmod[2]))

Then (1e9*Wt.Hg(Xmod, Wt, Hgt)) computes the following line:

	  This may not be a good example, but you need to invent concepts for
portions of your code.

hope this helps.  spencer graves