[R] univariate normal mixtures

Carlos J. Gil Bellosta sigma at consultoresestadisticos.com
Thu Jul 17 18:52:05 CEST 2003

Well,

If k is known, you can use maximun likelihood to fit the weights, means,
and sd's. The EM algorithm can be of help to solve the optimization
problem. You would have to implement it yourself for your particular
case, but I do not think it is big trouble.

Then you could estimate k using Bayesian formalism: from a reasonable a
priory distribution on k=1, 2,... compute the posterior distributions
using the densities obtained above, etc.

Carlos J. Gil Bellosta
Sigma Consultores Estadísticos
http://www.consultoresestadisticos.com