[R] Looking to maximize a conditional likelihood

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Jul 17 23:42:58 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:37, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
> Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> writes:
>
> > I want to maximize a conditional likelihood function that is basically
> > logistic conditional on the number of successes within strata.  What
> > would be a good starting place for this?  A complication is that the
> > denominator includes a term that is the sum over all permutations.
> >
> > Although there is no time dimension to the problem, it's possible a
> > degenerate use of the Cox proportional hazards model (in the survival
> > package of 1.7) will do what I want.
>
> Did you check out clogit from the same package?
Wow, that looks like it exactly!  Thanks.  I was so sure this was a
time-series package I didn't think to look there.

This leads to a general search question: is there a way I could have
done a search on "conditional logit" and found this?  I tried various
searches like help.search("condition").  My system doesn't have this
module available, so was that the only problem?  I'm not sure if the
usual searches look through all the available packages.

--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 476-9856
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840                     hm:  (415) 550-1062