[R] repeated measures anova

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Fri Jul 18 13:42:53 CEST 2003

Wouter,

> what is the best way to do an ANOVA on two-factor experiments with
> repeated measures on one of the factors (e.g. time) in R, (with
> Greenhouse-Geisser Epsilon or Huynh-Feldt Epsilon calculation, if

You could use aov() with an Error term on your subjects factor; this follows
the classical "split-plot" approach. But I do not believe you will find any
existing R code to do the G-G or H-F corrections.  And I doubt there ever
will be, because the better strategy is to use linear mixed-effect modeling
approaches.  See for example, Diggle et al (Analysis of Longitudinal Data,
2001); Pinheiro & Bates (Mixed Effects Model with S, 2000); and Venables &
Ripley (MASS 4th edition, Sitka Trees example.)  You get the split-plot
approach with a uniform correlation (also called compound symmetry)
specification for your error matrix, but other alternatives are available.
If your repeated measure is time, my experience (with biology data) finds
that a first order autoregression or something similar is better. The
correlation between timepoint pairs weakens as the distance between them
increases.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Bill