[R] Setting name attributes to a vector - join?

Andy Bunn abunn at montana.edu
Mon Jul 21 22:19:54 CEST 2003

I have a vector of land cover class data from a GIS:

> landcov[1:10,2] #the first ten examples of a large (100k+) object
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
12 12 01 12 01 15 15 15 15 15

etc.

I also have a lookup table for the class data that gives the cover type
as a string:

> cnd.names #the look up table, i.e., landcov[3,2] == 1 == "Montane
Meadow"
   CndVal                                          Cnddbname
1       1                                     Montane Meadow
2       2                    Sierran Mixed Coniferous Forest
3       3                            Mixed Montane Chaparral
4       4                            Jeffrey Pine-Fir Forest
5       5                           Sierran White Fir Forest

etc.

How can I create an object that has the string as its value?

I.e., foo[3] <- "Montane Meadow"
I tried using apply and a custom function but couldn't get it to work.

I feel like this is trivial but am stuck fast.

Thanks, Andy