[R] R and C++ compared with only C++

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Jul 22 13:57:45 CEST 2003

I must say that I agree with Andrew.  I recently did just that:  took an R
package with C code and turn it into a stand-alone C program.  Granted I'm
far from being a C expert, but not only that the code didn't run any faster
(because all the heavy computations were already done in C anyway), but I
had to spend lots and lots of time debugging the new code.  If I have the
choice, I wouldn't do it.  (No, I didn't have that choice...)

Cheers,
Andy