[R] variable names

Hotz, T. th50 at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 16:07:10 CEST 2003

Dear Luis,

You might want to have a look at

"Bill Venables. Programmer's niche. R News, 2(2):24-26, June 2002"
which you can find at http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/
or look into the manual "R Language Definition", chapter
"Computing on the language".

Assuming that in your case the variable to be classified is called
classLabels, and the names of your datasets are in a vector called
dataNames, you could use something like

lapply(dataNames,function(theName){
  eval(parse(text = paste("rpart(classLabels~., data =", theName, ")")))
})

which will return a list of results. This is achieved by generating the
command line you would type as a string using paste, which is then parsed
and explicitly evaluated.

See the corresponding help pages for more details.

HTH

Thomas

---

Thomas Hotz
Research Associate in Medical Statistics
University of Leicester
United Kingdom

Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
22-28 Princess Road West
Leicester
LE1 6TP
Tel +44 116 252-5410